Are we there yet? Are we there yet? No matter how long or how short your road trip is, there will be times when the excitement dwindles down and you are looking at the time and miles wondering that the age-old question. Are we there yet? Here you will find 200+ awesome road trip questions to ask your family to keep your trip fun and memorable.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my disclaimer policy to learn more.
Road tripping has got be our all-time favorite way to travel with the family. From the excitement of heading out and hitting the pavement, the journey itself, and finally arrive at our destination. It calls for some great family bonding and memories.
I truly believe some of the best conversations we have had have been on our family road trips.
The open road is there, it will always be there. You just have to decide when to take it.Chris Humphrey
I thought it would be a great idea to compile a list of questions for you as well. With that, here are some road trip questions to have on hand to keep the wheels turning while the wheels are turning.
Have fun with it! These will sure to get everyone to participate, have fun, and engaging.
There is also a bonus section at the end for some travel trivia fun.
Road Trip Questions For The Family
Having a great conversation starter will encourage everyone to not only answer the question but build onto it. You would want to make sure that the questions are pretty general and easily understood by all. Be sure to take into consideration the ages of all and have it be age-appropriate.
Family Friendly Questions
1. Would you rather it be the first day of school or the last day of school?
2. What if the internet went out for a week? What would you do?
3. What if you were elected president? What would you do first?
4. What if you had $5 to spend at the dollar store? What would you buy?
5. What food are you most likely to keep for yourself?
7. Is a hot dog a sandwich?
8. Who is the funniest among all your friends?
9. What subject would you teach if you became a teacher?
10. Who has had the best influence on your life?
11. What’s the funniest way you ever got hurt?
12. Which birthday would you like to do-over?
13. What makes you happy and why?
14. Which states have you been to?
15. What vacation is your favorite so far?
16. Would you rather go into space or to Antarctica?
17. Would you rather have to sleep with no pillow or no blankets?
18. What if you found a time machine?
19. Would you rather eat McDonald’s for every meal or never again?
20. What are the top three gifts you ever received?
21. What are your least favorite chores?
22. What are your favorite meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner?
23. What are your top 10 snacks and list them in order?
24. What do you want to be when you grow up?
25. When did you first see the ocean?
26. Which cartoon character do you wish was your dad?
27. If you could change your name what would you be called?
28. What is your best family vacation memory and why?
29. What is something you learned this week?
30. If you have three wishes, what would they be?
31. If you could be the leading expert in something, what would it be?
32. What is your favorite TV show?
33. Who is your favorite superhero?
34. What’s your favorite place in the world?
35. What one piece of advice would you give your younger self?
36. If you could have a conversation with anyone, living or dead, who would you talk to?
37. If you could be an animal, what would you be?
38. If you had to spend a week with no internet, what would you do?
39. When have you felt the most gratitude in your life?
40. Can money bring happiness?
41. What makes you happy?
42. What do you think you’re going to dream about tonight?
43. Who is your favorite storybook character?
44. Tell me something about you that you think I might not know.
45. How do you show people you care?
46. If you wrote a book, what would it be about?
47. What makes your friends so awesome?
48. Do you like it when other people share with you? Why?
Related Post: The Ultimate Family Road Trip Planning Guide
More Family Friendly Questions
49. What makes you so awesome?
50. If a friend asks you to keep a secret that you don’t feel comfortable keeping, what would you do?
51. If you had friends all over the world, how would you keep in touch?
52. How would you design a treehouse?
53. If you could reconnect to one friend that you’ve lost touch with, who would it be?
54. What’s the weirdest dream you’ve ever had?
55. What has been your favorite photo you’ve taken?
56. Using one word, how would you describe your family?
57. Who’s been the biggest influence on your life and why?
58. What does friendship mean to you?
59. How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
60. What life goals do you have?
61. What’s the best way a person can spend their time?
62. Who is the nicest person you know and why are they nice?
63. What is your favorite family tradition?
64. What was the proudest moment of your childhood?
65. Are you more like your mom or dad and how?
66. If you had a restaurant, what would you serve?
67. If you could ban one vegetable forever, what would it be?
68. Would you rather eat cake or ice cream?
69. If it were only up to you, what would you eat for breakfast?
70. If you had to leave home because of an emergency, what 3 things would you take with you?
71. What do you want to invent?
72. If you could rid the world of one thing, what would it be?
73. If you had to give all your toys away, who would you give them to?
74. What if all motorized vehicles stopped working? How would you get around?
75. What questions should I never ask you?
76. What do you like most about your family?
77. If you were the president for a day, what’s the first thing would you do?
78. Who’s the boss of you?
79. Do you believe in ghosts?
80. How old do you think I am?
81. How many times have you ever lied?
82. How many kids do you think you’re gonna have when you get older?
83. Would you be friends with your parents if they transformed into children?
84. If you were a Pokémon, which one would you be?
85. If you had to become a teacher for a day, what would you teach in class?
86. Where do you think is the best vacation destination?
87. Where’s the best place to hide during a game of hide-and-seek?
88. If you suddenly had the power to become invisible just for a day, what would you do?
89. If you were to give me a nickname, what would it be?
90. Can you impersonate someone?
91. What item would you grab first if your house was on fire?
92. What is the meaning of life?
93. What makes you sing?
94. What makes you dance?
95. What’s the ickiest food you’ve ever tasted?
96. Have you ever sneezed and peed a little?
97. If stuffed animals could talk, what would they say?
98. What kind of dragon are you?
99. What’s the ugliest name you’ve ever heard?
100. If you could make a new holiday, what would it be?
Fun and Random Questions
101. On a scale of 1-10, how strict were your parents?
102. What did you want to be when you were a kid?
103. What do you wish you could spend more of your time doing?
104. What’s the worst piece of advice anyone has ever given you?
105. What is something you did not want to do at all that turned out to be an amazing experience?
106. What is your favorite way to relax when things are hectic?
107. What 5 things are you most thankful for?
108. What negative thing has happened to you that actually turned out to be for the best?
109. What has required the most courage of you in your life so far?
110. What guilty pleasures do you have?
111. If you won the lottery, what would you buy first?
112. What talent do you really wish you had?
113. Does change scare or excite you?
114. If you had to change your first name, what would you pick and why?
115. Would you rather spend the night in a hotel room or camping?
116. Do you prefer sunsets or sunrises? Why?
117. What food would you never eat, under any circumstances?
118. What profession have you always admired?
119. Have you ever been skinny dipping?
120. Would you rather have the best house in a bad neighborhood or the worst house in a good neighborhood?
121. Would you rather be too hot or too cold?
122. Would you rather plan everything to a tee or be totally spontaneous?
123. Would you rather drink coffee or tea?
124. Would you rather be gifted experiences or items?
125. What’s the longest you’ve ever gone without showering?
126. What is your favorite kind of dessert?
127. If you could take a month-long road trip, what would be your route?
128. Who are the 3 greatest living musicians?
129. What is the first thing you do when you get out of bed?
130. Which of your friends are you proudest of? Why?
131. What are your 3 favorite movies?
132. If you could live in any TV home, what would it be?
133. If you had to live in a different state, what would it be?
134. What is the scariest movie you’ve ever seen?
135. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?
136. What’s the most beautiful place you’ve ever been to?
137. What’s the first thing you do when you get home from a trip?
138. Would you rather spend five days on the beach or on the mountain?
139. What do you like the least about travel?
140. What is your favorite part of travel?
141. If we had to live in one of the places you’ve visited on vacation which one would be your first choice?
142. What household chore have you never done?
143. What is your goal for the next 12 months? How do you plan to reach it?
144. Have you ever achieved a New Year’s resolution?
145. What is your favorite kind of cereal?
146. Are you usually early or late?
147. What language would you like to master?
148. Who would you love to punch in the face?
149. What is your favorite event in the Winter Olympics?
150. What was the best book or series that you’ve ever read?
More Fun and Random Questions
151. What is your favorite podcast?
152. Where is the farthest place you’ve ever traveled in a car?
153. Share your top 3 favorite artists.
154. Who is your most admired athlete of all-time?
155. What do you like most about your family?
156. What is your least favorite holiday and why? Most favorite?
157. What are some small things that make your day better?
158. If you owned a professional sports team, what team would you own?
159. What is the must-see movie out right now?
160. What are the three key elements in every successful relationship?
161. If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
162. What hobby would you get into if time and money weren’t an issue?
163. Describe your dream home. Where would it be and what would it look like?
164. Do you prefer early mornings or late nights?
165. How do you like to cook your eggs?
166. What shows are you currently into?
167. Which exotic animal would you want as your pet?
168. What is something that is considered a luxury, but you don’t think you could live without?
169. Would you rather go bungee jumping or skydiving?
170. Where is the most relaxing place you’ve ever been to?
171. What is one skill you really want to master?
172. What is the most embarrassing thing that happened to you?
173. What is something you will NEVER do again?
174. Where is the scariest place you have ever been to?
175. How long have you gone without taking a shower?
176. Would you rather explore space or the deepest part of the ocean?
177. Would you rather climb a mountain or deep-sea dive?
178. Would you rather visit an art museum or a history museum?
179. What’s the most illegal thing you’ve done?
180. What’s the best and worst piece of travel advice you’ve ever received?
181. What is your biggest kitchen fail?
182. What are you really good at, but may be embarrassed that you are good at it?
183. What do you regret not doing or starting when you were younger?
184. What is your spirit animal?
185. What does the last text message on your phone say?
186. Which movie made you cry? Why?
187. What is your favorite TV series?
188. How many pairs of shoes do you own?
189. What is your favorite location to go camping?
190. How many pillows do you sleep with?
191. Do you prefer warm weather or cold weather?
192. What is your favorite breakfast diner order?
193. What is your go-to dance move?
194. Where do you do most of your online shopping?
195. Do you read the newspaper?
196. Would you rather eat great food or drink great wine?
197. What would you take to a desert island if you could only pack 3 things?
198. What car would you drive if money wasn’t a factor?
199. What’s the weirdest piece of trivia you can think of right now?
200. Can you make noises like a laser?
Road Trip Questions For Couples
When the kids are sleeping in the car, do you stay up with your partner to keep them company? Here are some fun questions to ask your partner during the drive. This list is not as extensive as the ones above but enough to get you started.
1. What’s your primary love language (the way you express/receive love)?
2. In what ways has our relationship changed you?
3. What would be your ideal getaway for a long weekend?
4. What made you accept when I asked you out on our first date?
5. What is your favorite memory of our time together?
6. Do you remember our first kiss and where it was?
7. Describe a perfect romantic day.
8. Do you think we spend enough time together?
9. What ideas do you have about how we could improve the time we spend together?
10. What do you love about my personality?
11. What are three things that I do that you couldn’t live without?
12. What are three things that I do that drive you nuts?
13. What compliment would you really like to hear from me?
14. What is the one thing that would be a relationship breaker for you?
15. Can you think of a daring adventure to had?
16. When was the first time you fell in love?
17. What are the things you value most from the beginning of our relationship?
18. If you were making a movie about our relationship who would play each of us?
19. Where would you most like to go on your next dream vacation?
20. What type of fashion do you like most on the male? Female?
21. Which celebrity would you choose as your “okay to cheat on” person?
22. What do you wish your parents had done differently with you?
23. Are you more like your mom or dad and how?
24. What is the main thing that you think makes a relationship last?
25. Do you think people have the ability to change or do they stay the same all their life?
26. If we were to trade place, what would be the first thing you would do as me?
27. In which situations do you feel most secure in our relationship?
28. What physical and emotional gestures do you appreciate most?
29. When was the last time you cried?
30. Do you trust me?
31. What does a balanced relationship look like to you?
32. Are you satisfied with our chemistry and intimacy?
33. What is your favorite way to communicate?
34. What are your goals for this relationship?
35. If you could gain one quality or ability, what would it be?
36. What is something you want to do together that we haven’t?
37. What was your favorite part about our first kiss?
38. Do you like kissing or hugging more?
39. What did you learn about marriage from your parents?
40. What’s your favorite memory with your dad?
41. What’s your favorite memory with your mom?
42. What’s the happiest you ever felt?
43. What’s the angriest you ever felt?
44. What’s the most scared you ever felt, as a child?
45. Where do you want to be living in 10 years?
46. Who was your first crush?
47. Do you ever compare yourself to other guys/girls?
48. When you wake up in the middle of the night, what do you think about?
49. What are your secret thoughts when you see me at the end of the day?
50. Do you ever wish I could read your mind? When?
Related Post: 8 Simple Date Ideas For Married Couples
How Well Do You Know Each Other
This next section is all about how well your partner knows you and vice versa. This is so much fun and really test your knowledge. And gives you a chance to get to know your partner better.
1. What is my favorite food?
2. Who is the first person I were to call if I was in trouble?
3. Who are my 3 favorite music artists?
4. What are my top 3 favorite movies?
5. Who are my closest friends?
6. Which friend annoys me the most?
7. Which country would I most like to visit next?
8. What is my favorite trip taken together and why?
9. What is the one thing I am most afraid of?
10. What is my favorite date we have had?
BONUS: Travel Trivia
Can you guess what’s another way of asking questions on a road trip that is not only fun but educational? You guessed it… Travel trivia.
There really is no shortage of trivia to go around. Every time we pass Little Falls, MN for a lake/ cabin getaway up north here in Minnesota, the boys are always asked “Who is the famous person that grew up in Little Falls?” and “What was he famous for?” It never fails.
In case you did not know, it is Charles Lindbergh who made the first SOLO transatlantic flight from New York City to Paris.
Here are some more fun travel trivia:
1. On which Caribbean island can you swim with pigs?
2. Which is the biggest state in the USA by land area?
3. Which country has the longest coastline in the world?
4. What is the only country in the world to be ruled by an Emperor?
5. What is the largest country in Africa?
6. What is Europe’s most mountainous country?
7. What island in San Francisco Bay was the site of an almost escape-proof prison?
8. Which country has more lakes than the rest of the world combined?
9. Which two cities did the original Orient Express travel between?
Answer: Paris and Istanbul
10. Which is the only US State to have a one-syllable name?
Final Thoughts On These Awesome Questions To Ask Your Family On Your New Road Trip
And there you have it. 200+ road trip questions you can ask during your next family road trip to keep the family engaged and learn more about each other.
I hope you found them to be a great conversation starter and keep the memories going with these. Download your FREE printable and take that along with you on your next trip.
Related Road Trip Posts:
- The Ultimate Family Road Trip Planning Guide
- How To Survive A Road Trip With Kids
- 20 Things To Bring On Your Next Road Trip
- 6 Magnificent National Parks in Minnesota (MN)
- The Best Fall Activities To Do With Your Family In Minnesota